Republican presidential candidate Herman Cain waits to speak at a press conference November 8, 2011 in Scottsdale, Ariz. Photo by Eric Thayer/Getty Images.
Embattled GOP candidate Herman Cain rejected new claims that he has sexually harassed women — one day after Sharon Bialek, a Chicago woman, claimed that he made inappropriate and unwanted sexual advances in 1997.
In a news conference Tuesday with one of his attorneys, Cain said he did not recall ever meeting Bialek. He said that the first time he ever saw her was during the news conference with attorney Gloria Allred. “I tried to remember if I recognized her, and I didn’t,” he said.
“I have never acted inappropriately with anyone. Period,” Cain said. He described Bialek as a “troubled woman” produced by the “Democrat machine” to damage his candidacy.
Cain also rejected any speculation that he would withdraw from the GOP nomination race, saying that “ain’t gonna happen, because I’m doing this for the American people and for the children and the grandchildren, and I will not be deterred by false, anonymous, incorrect accusations.”
He pointed to his more than four-decade marriage, saying his wife Gloria was equally disbelieving of Bialek’s story. Cain said the media “beat me up” over a series of anonymous accusations ahead of the fourth accuser.
“I will vigorously defend my reputation,” Cain said. Responding to a reporter’s question, Cain said he’d be willing to take a lie detector test.
On Monday’s NewsHour, Judy Woodruff spoke with Politico’s Jonathan Martin about what the latest round of accusations mean for Cain’s White House bid:
In an interview with Woodruff last week, Cain said that earlier allegations that he sexually harassed two women were “baffling”:
We’ll have more on these developments on Tuesday’s NewsHour.