Republican presidential candidate Herman Cain waits to speak at a November news conference in Scottsdale, Ariz. Photo by Eric Thayer/Getty Images.
Republican presidential candidate Herman Cain said Friday he would make an announcement Saturday about the future of his floundering campaign.
“Tomorrow in Atlanta I will be making an announcement, but nobody’s going to get me to make that prematurely,” Cain told a crowd at a campaign event in Rock Hill, S.C., Friday afternoon. “That’s all there is to that.”
Cain said earlier this week that he would reassess his campaign after a woman came forward Monday alleging she had a 13-year affair with the former Godfather’s Pizza chief executive.
Cain has rejected the allegations, saying he and the woman, Ginger White, were merely friends. He told the New Hampshire Union Leader in an interview Thursday that he provided White with financial assistance without his wife knowing about it.
Cain said Friday the impact the accusation has had on his wife and family would be a factor in his decision-making process.
“I am reassessing cause of all of this media firestorm stuff. Why? Because my wife and family comes first. I got to take that into consideration,” Cain said. “I don’t doubt the support that I have. Just look at the people that are here. We gotta look at what happens to contributions and we’re going to reevaluate the whole strategy.”
Cain is expected to meet with his wife, Gloria, later Friday. He said he will “clarify exactly what the next steps are” Saturday at what is supposed to be the opening of his campaign headquarters in Northwest Georgia.
In October, Cain surged to the lead in several national polls of the Republican field, but he has seen his standing steadily decline in recent weeks amid allegations of sexual harassment and growing concerns over his handling of foreign policy matters.
View more coverage on our Politics page.