What do you think? Leave a respectful comment.

US withdraws remaining personnel from Yemen

WASHINGTON — The U.S. has removed its remaining personnel from Yemen as Shiite rebels controlling the Arab nation’s capital call for others to join its battle against government forces.

In a statement issued Saturday night, the State Department gives no details about how many personnel had remained in Yemen and where they had been relocated.

Earlier Saturday, Yemeni security and military officials had said that U.S. troops including Special Forces commandos were evacuating from an air base in southern Yemen. The air base, Yemen’s largest, was believed to have had some 100 American troops stationed there.

A State Department spokesman, Jeff Rathke, says the U.S. continues to monitor terrorist threats emanating from Yemen and will take action to disrupt imminent threats to the U.S. and its citizens.

The Latest