What do you think? Leave a respectful comment.

The video for this story is not available, but you can still read the transcript below.
No image

Details Slowly Emerge in Anthrax Attacks Investigation

A flurry of controversy over the apparent suicide of Bruce Ivins, the chief suspect in the 2001 anthrax attacks, has raised more questions for investigators. A New York Times reporter navigates the latest developments.

Read the Full Transcript

  • MARGARET WARNER:

    New details emerged this weekend about Bruce Ivins, the Army scientist who committed suicide last week after learning he was the prime suspect in the 2001 anthrax attacks that killed five people.

    Ivins worked with anthrax at the Army's Fort Detrick Lab in Frederick, Maryland. This weekend, two very different portraits of the scientist came to light. The first came from a tape of his therapist at a court hearing 10 days ago when she sought a protective order against Ivins.

  • JEAN DULEY, Bruce Ivins’ Therapist:

    As far back as the year 2000, the respondent has actually attempted to murder several other people either through poisoning — he plots and actually tries to carry out revenge killing. I'm scared to death.

  • MARGARET WARNER:

    She said that, at a session on July 9th, he outlined a plan to kill his coworkers.

  • JEAN DULEY:

    He was extremely agitated, out of control. He was going to go out in a blaze of glory.

  • MARGARET WARNER:

    But some neighbors and coworkers painted a very different picture.

  • NORMAN COVERT, Ivins’ Coworker:

    Bruce was very involved in the community and his church. And it would seem way out of character.

  • MARGARET WARNER:

    There was also some skepticism this weekend about the government's seven-year-long investigation. After first naming a different Fort Detrick scientist a person of interest in the case, the government gave Steven Hatfill a financial settlement last month of $5 million.

    Former Senate Majority Leader Tom Daschle, whose office was a target of the attacks, expressed his reservations on "FOX News Sunday."

    TOM DASCHLE (D), Former Senator of South Dakota: From the very beginning, I've had real concerns about the quality of the investigation. Given the fact that they already paid somebody else $5 million for the mistakes they must have made gives you some indication of the overall caliber and quality of the investigation. And I'm hopeful that some day soon we'll have the answers we deserve.

  • MARGARET WARNER:

    The Department of Justice has said it won't discuss the case publicly until court documents are unsealed and victims' families have been updated.

The Latest