British police have identified the person responsible for Wednesday’s attack on Parliament as Khalid Masood, a 52-year-old native of England.
Police believe Masood was the driver who plowed through pedestrians walking along Westminster Bridge before crashing in front of the houses of Parliament and stabbing a security guard. At least four people died and as many as 40 were injured in the attack.
The Kent-born Masood was known to police and had been previously convicted of assault and possession of weapons, but was not the subject of any current investigations or convicted of any terrorism offenses.
Here’s what else we know:
- On Wednesday, a driver, now identified by police as Masood, plowed a car through pedestrians walking along Westminster Bridge, leaving a trail of injuries and deaths. The car crashed in front of the houses of Parliament, which entered lockdown.
- Masood then allegedly fatally stabbed a guard, Keith Palmer, before being shot dead by police. Palmer, a husband and father, was unarmed.
- A media outlet associated with Islamic State militants said the attack was committed by one of its “soldiers.”
- The Associated Press reported that the car used in the attack was rented from the car rental company Enterprise in Birmingham
- One of the dead was identified as American Kurt Cochran of Utah. His wife Melissa was seriously wounded on the bridge. President Donald Trump tweeted that Cochran was “a great American” and “my prayers and condolences are with his family and friends.”
- A British teacher, Aysha Frade, also died on the bridge. She had two young daughters and a husband.
- About 40 other people from 11 different countries were injured. Among them were 12 Britons, four South Koreans, three French high school students, two Romanians, two Greeks and one citizen each of China, Germany, Ireland, Italy and the United States, according to the New York Times.
We stand in solidarity with the UK, our friend and ally, against terrorism, the greatest threat to global peace and security.
— Recep Tayyip Erdoğan (@RT_Erdogan) March 22, 2017
- Turkey’s president Recep Tayyip Erdogan tweeted his condolences about the attack. His office told the Associated Press that he and UK Prime Minister Therea May “reasserted their “determination” to jointly combat terrorism and share intelligence.”
- President Trump also offered his condolences to Prime Minister Theresa May and praise for British police and first responders.
- In a statement, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said “we must stand shoulder-to-shoulder with the citizens of Britain and the entire civilized world against radical Islamic terrorism,” noting that “the citizens of Israel were among the first to face the challenge of vehicular ramming and stabbing attacks.”
This will be a defining moment for our country, as we begin to forge a new relationship with Europe & a new role for ourselves in the world. pic.twitter.com/zM69aZlhpa
— Theresa May (@theresa_may) March 14, 2017
- Police have arrested eight additional people in raids around Britain.
- Both the House of Commons and the House of Lords resumed their sessions today.
- “We will all move forward together, never giving in to terror or allowing the voices of hate [and] evil to drive us apart,” May tweeted.
- May said police believe the attacker acted alone and there was “no reason to believe” further attacks on the public were planned.