Islamic State militants release video that purports to be beheading of British aid worker

Islamic State militants released a video Friday night that purportedly shows the beheading of British aid worker Alan Henning, the Associated Press reports. This is amid ongoing U.S. airstrikes against the extremist group’s strongholds along the Syria-Iraq border.

Although the AP said it could not immediately verify the authenticity of the video, the manner it was released and shot is similar to previous beheading videos of British aid worker David Cawthorne Haines and American journalists Steven Sotloff and James Foley. Unlike those past three-minute videos, the latest video is about a minute long, The Atlantic reported.

A 47-year-old taxi driver from England, Henning was kidnapped in December while crossing the Turkish border with an aid convey, CNN reported.

The AP reported that the video ended with a threat from the Islamic State to kill a man identified as an American aid worker.

“Obama, you have started your aerial bombardment of Shams, Syria, which keeps on striking our people, so it is only right that we continue to strike the neck of your people,” said a masked, British-accented man, who seems to have appeared in all four beheading videos.

Last week, FBI Director James Comey said the U.S. believed it had identified the masked militant in the videos. The agency did not reveal the man’s name.

Henning’s wife Barbara released a statement last week, calling for her husband’s release.

“Alan is a peaceful, selfless man who left his family and his job as a taxi driver in the UK to drive in a convoy all the way to Syria with his Muslim colleagues and friends to help those most in need,” the statement read. “I pray that the people holding Alan respond to my messages and contact me before it is too late.”

Support PBS NewsHour: