The Pentagon announced Thursday the transfer of two more prisoners from the U.S. jail in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, bringing the remaining inmate population to 91.
Al-Sawah, an Egyptian, was “one of the most compliant detainees at Guantanamo,” the multi-agency Periodic Review Board found. He reportedly provided information about al-Qaida to his interrogators.
His health status also was a factor in his release, the board said in its February 2015 recommendation. And his family agreed to help with his reintegration upon his return.
Al-Suwaydi, a Yemeni, was suspected of being a member of al-Qaida. Both men had been held at Guantanamo since 2002.
A third man, Mohammed Bwazir, a Yemeni who had been held in the prison since 2002, declined his transfer. John Chandler, his attorney, said he wanted to hold out for a country where he had family, reported the Washington Post.