WASHINGTON — The U.S. military has concluded that two innocent children were likely killed during an American airstrike in Syria last year, wrapping up the first of four ongoing investigations into allegations of civilian casualties.
U.S. Central Command said the strike on November 4-5, near Harim City, targeted the al-Qaida-linked Khorasan Group. The probe concluded that two adults living near the targets were wounded.
The investigation, ordered and approved by Lt. Gen. James Terry, said there had been no indications prior to the strikes that children were present.
There are two other ongoing investigations into airstrikes in Iraq, and one more in Syria.
Other groups have estimated that far more civilians have been killed in U.S. and coalition airstrikes since operations began last August.