Angolan Government, Companies and dos Santos Respond to The Luanda Leaks

Share:
Angola's capital Luanda at night.

Angola's capital Luanda at night. (Bruno Fonseca/ICIJ)

January 21, 2020

After several stories based on the Luanda Leaks were published earlier this week detailing how Africa’s richest woman, Isabel dos Santos, built a business empire with access to state funds from Angola, the Angolan government, Western companies named in the report, and dos Santos herself responded to the investigation.

On Jan. 20, Angola’s prosecutor general, Hélder Pitra Grós, declared he would use “all possible means and… international mechanisms” to bring dos Santos back to the country. Angola’s government had already frozen the businesswoman’s assets, saying it is trying to recoup $1 billion it is owed.

In an interview with BBC Africa, dos Santos denied any wrongdoing, saying all the transactions documented in the papers were “perfectly legal.” On Twitter, dos Santos said the documents were leaked by the country’s intelligence services to further her opponents’ “political agenda.”

Dos Santos also reiterated a point she has stressed for years, saying she was first and foremost an entrepreneur. “I build companies and enterprises,” she wrote. “I invest and create jobs.” In 2018, dos Santos left Angola after her father, José Eduardo dos Santos, stepped down as president. She recently told Portuguese media she was mulling her own presidential run.

Some of the companies named in the investigation have also responded. On Jan. 20, a PwC spokesperson said the company was investigating the “serious and concerning allegations” and had terminated all work for the dos Santos family. Interviewed at the World Economic Forum’s annual meeting in Davos, the company’s global chairman, Bob Moritz said employees may face consequences over the affair, including losing their jobs.

The same day, the company’s Lisbon employees were told that Jaime Esteves, lead of the company’s tax department in Angola, Cape Verde and Portugal, had stepped down from his position, though he remains at the firm, according to newspaper and ICIJ partner Observador. Esteves said in Portuguese that the move was due to the “seriousness” of ICIJ’s allegations.

Also on Monday, BancoBic — a Portuguese bank featured in the ICIJ investigation, which is partly owned by dos Santos — said it had ended its “commercial relationship” with the businesswoman. It confirmed in a statement that it had opened an internal investigation into payments made using one of its subsidiaries by Sonangol, Angola’s state oil company, which was briefly headed by dos Santos.

 Stream The Luanda Leaks now.

Clarification: This story has been updated to clarify that Esteves remains at PwC.


Karen Pinchin

Karen Pinchin, Former Tow Journalism Fellow, FRONTLINE/Columbia Journalism Fellowship, FRONTLINE

Twitter:

@karenpinchin

In order to foster a civil and literate discussion that respects all participants, FRONTLINE has the following guidelines for commentary. By submitting comments here, you are consenting to these rules:

Readers' comments that include profanity, obscenity, personal attacks, harassment, or are defamatory, sexist, racist, violate a third party's right to privacy, or are otherwise inappropriate, will be removed. Entries that are unsigned or are "signed" by someone other than the actual author will be removed. We reserve the right to not post comments that are more than 400 words. We will take steps to block users who repeatedly violate our commenting rules, terms of use, or privacy policies. You are fully responsible for your comments.

blog comments powered by Disqus

More Stories

New Data on Utah Police Shootings and Race Called ‘Extremely Uncomfortable’, ‘Disappointing’
Racial and ethnic minorities account for a third of the people shot at by Utah police over the past decade — despite these groups making up just a quarter of the population.
September 20, 2021
Most Minneapolis Voters Believe Crime Is on the Rise, New Poll Finds
An overwhelming majority of likely Minneapolis voters say crime is on the rise, a view strongly held by residents of every race, gender and age group across the city, according to a new Minnesota poll, our Local Journalism Initiative partner the Star Tribune reports.
September 18, 2021
Minnesota Poll: Most Minneapolis Voters Want Reform, Not Fewer Cops
A clear majority of Minneapolis voters oppose reducing the size of the city’s police force — a feeling that’s especially strong among Black voters, according to a new poll. At the same time, voters are showing support for replacing the police department with a new agency, our Local Journalism Initiative partner the Star Tribune finds.
September 18, 2021
Get the Backstory on Duterte’s ‘War on Drugs’ as ICC Green Lights Investigation into Philippines Killings
With the International Criminal Court authorizing an official investigation into Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte’s bloody “war on drugs," these two documentaries and one podcast episode offer context.
September 17, 2021