Charles Taylor Sentenced to 50 Years for War Crimes

Share:
Former Liberian President Charles Taylor on trial at the U.N.-backed Special Court for Sierra Leone in The Hague, Netherlands.

Former Liberian President Charles Taylor on trial at the U.N.-backed Special Court for Sierra Leone in The Hague, Netherlands. (AP Photo/Michael Kooren, Pool-File)

May 30, 2012

Convicted war criminal Charles Taylor was sentenced to 50 years in prison Wednesday, marking the end of a years-long legal process to hold the former Liberian president accountable for atrocities committed during the 1990s civil war in Sierra Leone.

Taylor was convicted [PDF] in April on 11 counts of crimes against humanity, including rape, murder, sexual slavery and “other inhumane acts”; violations of the Geneva conventions, and conscripting children to fight as soldiers. Taylor, the court ruled, had aided, abetted and planned “heinous and brutal crimes” in a conflict that left tens of thousands dead.

During the trial, which began in 2007, the prosecutor cited a FRONTLINE/World interview with Taylor’s former defense minister.

In the May 2005 interview, Daniel Chea said that Taylor knew his militias were involved in the atrocities in Ivory Coast:

On the Ivorian issue, when I realized that militia forces from Liberia were involved, I talked to him one day, and I said, “Look, before going into one area, you must have an objective, either military or political, and in this case, we have none. We have our own issues; we are under attack by LURD [Liberians United for Reconciliation and Democracy] forces.” And he said to me, “Well, Dan, sometimes there are things that you do not understand. There are too many things happening in this region, and sometimes you get consumed. And you can be assured that whatever it is it will get under control.

Chea added: “In most African countries, if you are assured by the Head of State that he’s in control, that he knows what he’s doing, if he tells you, ‘Look, I will never do anything to harm my nation’, you have to give him the benefit of the doubt.”

When the prosecutor read Chea’s remarks in court, Taylor dismissed them, according to the trial transcript [PDF]. “That is not right,” he said. “This is an interview. No one knows who conducted the interview, no one knows this paper,” he said. “My Minister of Defence, knowing that I was fighting a war, could not have said this to me at all.”

Taylor maintained his innocence throughout the trial.

At his sentencing hearing on May 16, he expressed his “sadness and deepest sympathy for the atrocities and crimes that were suffered by individuals and families in Sierra Leone,” according to a release from the court. But Taylor maintained that he was still not responsible for the crimes, and that during the conflict, he had only been trying to keep the peace.

His lawyers plan to appeal the sentence, which they argue would leave Taylor, who is 64, in prison for life. The prosecution, which had asked for an 80-year sentence, and said it might also appeal to lengthen the sentence. Meanwhile, some of Taylor’s victims think he should spend the rest of his life in prison.

The Special Court for Sierra Leone is one of the last remaining tribunals dedicated to a particular conflict. Once these conclude, the International Criminal Court at The Hague will be the remaining arbiter for global justice.  Earlier this month, we looked at its mixed record here.


Sarah Childress

Sarah Childress, Former Series Senior Editor, FRONTLINE

In order to foster a civil and literate discussion that respects all participants, FRONTLINE has the following guidelines for commentary. By submitting comments here, you are consenting to these rules:

Readers' comments that include profanity, obscenity, personal attacks, harassment, or are defamatory, sexist, racist, violate a third party's right to privacy, or are otherwise inappropriate, will be removed. Entries that are unsigned or are "signed" by someone other than the actual author will be removed. We reserve the right to not post comments that are more than 400 words. We will take steps to block users who repeatedly violate our commenting rules, terms of use, or privacy policies. You are fully responsible for your comments.

blog comments powered by Disqus

More Stories

What’s the Status of Healthcare for Women in Afghanistan Under the Taliban?
Before the Taliban took control of Afghanistan in August 2021, many women and girls were already struggling to receive adequate healthcare. A year later, the situation has worsened, sources told FRONTLINE.
August 9, 2022
‘Say to the Whole World, They Don’t Let Us Talk’: Women Held for ‘Immoral Behavior’ at a Taliban Prison Speak Out
In the FRONTLINE documentary ‘Afghanistan Undercover,’ Ramita Navai reports the Taliban has jailed women for ‘immoral behavior’ and held them without trial. Watch an excerpt.
August 9, 2022
The Disconnect: Power, Politics and the Texas Blackout
In February 2021, days-long blackouts in Texas left millions shivering in the dark. Hundreds died. How has the Texas grid changed since then? And how has it changed how people think?
August 4, 2022
'You Feel Safe One Second and Then Boom': A Conversation With the Filmmakers of 'Ukraine: Life Under Russia's Attack'
The filmmakers of "Ukraine: Life Under Russia's Attack" spoke about documenting life under bombardment and why they felt it was important to bring this story to an American audience.
August 2, 2022