Former Vatican Ambassador To Be Tried for Child Sexual Abuse

Share:
Vatican

Vatican

September 24, 2014

The Vatican has opened a criminal trial against its former ambassador to the Dominican Republic and placed him under house arrest, marking the first time a high-ranking official has been criminally charged by the Vatican with sexual abuse of children.

Josef Wesolowski was defrocked in June after the Vatican’s canon law court found him guilty of abuse and returned him to life as a layman. Wesolowski, who is from Poland, had been recalled from his post in August 2013 amid allegations that he had sexually abused teenage boys.

What Pope Francis Has Done Differently in Tackling the Sexual Abuse Scandal

In a statement, Vatican spokesman Fr. Federico Lombardi, S.J. said that the move “is consistent with the wish expressed by the Pope that such a serious and delicate case be addressed without delay, with the just and necessary rigour, with the full assumption of responsibility on the part of the institutions governed by the Holy See.”

Because of health problems, Wesolowski is being held under house arrest in Vatican City, according to the statement.

In Secrets of the Vatican, FRONTLINE detailed the Vatican’s failure to address the church’s handling of abuse cases. Recent steps toward reform have included criminalizing sexual abuse and forming an advisory board.

But the pope has also defended the church’s handling of the crisis, telling an Italian newspaper in March that “no one else has done more.”

“The cases of abuse are awful because they leave profound wounds,” Francis said. But he added: “The Catholic Church is maybe the only institution to have moved with transparency and responsibility. No one else has done more. Yet the church is the only one to be attacked.”

You can watch Secrets of the Vatican here:


More Stories

Charleston, South Carolina’s Tourism Machine: Lack of scrutiny and accountability keeps public in dark about millions of taxpayer dollars spent every year
Lack of scrutiny and accountability has kept the public in the dark about millions of taxpayer dollars spent every year.
September 23, 2022
Explore Charleston CEO Says No Ill-intent With Cayman Bank Account
Charleston’s state-funded tourism marketing group stowed nearly $2 million in public money in an offshore account. The chief executive said she could understand that this might provoke some suspicion, but the account was used strictly for business and the public’s good.
September 23, 2022
Takeaways from the AP/FRONTLINE Michael Flynn investigation
Explore key takeaways from The Associated Press and FRONTLINE's investigation into Michael Flynn, the retired three-star general and former Trump national security adviser.
September 7, 2022
Michael Flynn: From Government Insider to Holy Warrior
Michael Flynn, retired lieutenant general and former national security adviser, is building a movement centered on Christian nationalist ideas, using public appearances, political endorsements, and a network of nonprofit groups to advance the cause, an AP and FRONTLINE investigation has found.
September 7, 2022