Episode 1: The Black Atlantic
The Black Atlantic explores the global experiences that created the African-American people. The episode portrays the earliest Africans, slave and ...
The Cotton Economy and Slavery
Slavery was the fuel for a global cotton economy. The spread of plantations in the Deep South led to the forced migration known today as slavery's ...
Robert Smalls: A Daring Escape
The future South Carolina Representative to Congress made a daring escape from slavery when he sailed a war ship past Fort Sumter.
Racist Images and Messages in Jim Crow Era
Racist images in the Jim Crow era demeaned African Americans and legitimized violence against them. A visit to the Jim Crow Museum in Michigan.
A More Perfect Union (1968 – 2013). Full Episode
From the Black Power movement to the first black president of the United States.
Civil Rights Movement Leaders in Conversation
Rep. John Lewis of Georgia, journalist Charlayne Hunter-Gault and Chairman Emeritus of the NAACP Julian Bond.
Henry Louis Gates, Jr.'s 100 Amazing Facts About the Negro
- What Was America’s First Black Town?Spanish Florida was the African-American slaves’ first Promised Land.
- Who Led the First Back-to-Africa Effort?Paul Cuffee, perhaps the wealthiest black American of his time, led a Back-to-Africa effort in the early 1800s.
- Who Really Ran the Underground Railroad?Seven common myths about the Underground Railroad, and how they have sometimes overwhelmed historical facts.
- ’12 Years a Slave’: Trek From Slave to ScreenAs a literary scholar and cultural historian who has spent a lifetime searching out African Americans' lost, forgotten and otherwise unheralded tales, I was honored to serve as a historical consultant on Steve McQueen's "12 Years a Slave," most certainly one of the most vivid and authentic portrayals of slavery ever captured in a feature film.
- ‘Plessy v. Ferguson’: Who Was Plessy?Who was the Plessy in the Plessy v. Ferguson Supreme Court case that established the separate-but-equal policy for separating the races?
Find educational resources related to this program - and access to thousands of curriculum-targeted digital resources for the classroom at PBS LearningMedia.Visit PBS Learning Media