Episode 1: The Black Atlantic
The Black Atlantic explores the global experiences that created the African-American people. The episode portrays the earliest Africans, slave and ...
The Cotton Economy and Slavery
Slavery was the fuel for a global cotton economy. The spread of plantations in the Deep South led to the forced migration known today as slavery's ...
Robert Smalls: A Daring Escape
The future South Carolina Representative to Congress made a daring escape from slavery when he sailed a war ship past Fort Sumter.
Racist Images and Messages in Jim Crow Era
Racist images in the Jim Crow era demeaned African Americans and legitimized violence against them. A visit to the Jim Crow Museum in Michigan.
A More Perfect Union (1968 – 2013). Full Episode
From the Black Power movement to the first black president of the United States.
Civil Rights Movement Leaders in Conversation
Rep. John Lewis of Georgia, journalist Charlayne Hunter-Gault and Chairman Emeritus of the NAACP Julian Bond.
Henry Louis Gates, Jr.'s 100 Amazing Facts About the Negro
- What Is Juneteenth?What is Juneteenth and why are 42 states and the District of Columbia celebrating it this year?
- ’12 Years a Slave’: Trek From Slave to ScreenAs a literary scholar and cultural historian who has spent a lifetime searching out African Americans' lost, forgotten and otherwise unheralded tales, I was honored to serve as a historical consultant on Steve McQueen's "12 Years a Slave," most certainly one of the most vivid and authentic portrayals of slavery ever captured in a feature film.
- The Black Governor Who Was Almost a SenatorWhy didn't more than one black person serve in the Senate during the Reconstruction era -- a condition that persisted until this year?
- What Was America’s First Black Town?Spanish Florida was the African-American slaves’ first Promised Land.
- What Was the Second Middle Passage?The growth of the cotton economy and the internal slave trade in America forced families to separate and migrate once again.
Find educational resources related to this program - and access to thousands of curriculum-targeted digital resources for the classroom at PBS LearningMedia.Visit PBS Learning Media