Episode 1: The Black Atlantic
The Black Atlantic explores the global experiences that created the African-American people. The episode portrays the earliest Africans, slave and ...
The Cotton Economy and Slavery
Slavery was the fuel for a global cotton economy. The spread of plantations in the Deep South led to the forced migration known today as slavery's ...
Robert Smalls: A Daring Escape
The future South Carolina Representative to Congress made a daring escape from slavery when he sailed a war ship past Fort Sumter.
Racist Images and Messages in Jim Crow Era
Racist images in the Jim Crow era demeaned African Americans and legitimized violence against them. A visit to the Jim Crow Museum in Michigan.
A More Perfect Union (1968 – 2013). Full Episode
From the Black Power movement to the first black president of the United States.
Civil Rights Movement Leaders in Conversation
Rep. John Lewis of Georgia, journalist Charlayne Hunter-Gault and Chairman Emeritus of the NAACP Julian Bond.
Henry Louis Gates, Jr.'s 100 Amazing Facts About the Negro
- What Was America’s First Black Town?Spanish Florida was the African-American slaves’ first Promised Land.
- Who Designed the March on Washington?Bayard Rustin, the gay civil rights leader who was kept in the shadows by the Civil Rights movement establishment.
- What Was Black America’s Double War?The Double V Campaign demanded an end to segregation in the Armed Forces during World War II
- ’12 Years a Slave’: Trek From Slave to ScreenAs a literary scholar and cultural historian who has spent a lifetime searching out African Americans' lost, forgotten and otherwise unheralded tales, I was honored to serve as a historical consultant on Steve McQueen's "12 Years a Slave," most certainly one of the most vivid and authentic portrayals of slavery ever captured in a feature film.
- George Washington’s Runaway Slave, HarryHarry's determination to be free suggests that not all of the slaves found Washington to be the benevolent master whom historians have depicted.
Find educational resources related to this program - and access to thousands of curriculum-targeted digital resources for the classroom at PBS LearningMedia.Visit PBS Learning Media