In honor of a new Empire State-sized episode of Secrets of the Dead, enjoy this Prohibition-era cocktail gem while watching treasure hunters search for the long-lost riches of notorious gangster Dutch Schultz when Gangster’s Gold premieres Wednesday, November 18 at 10 p.m. on PBS (check local listings), pbs.org/secrets and the PBS Video app.
Serving: 1 drink
Glassware: Martini glass or cocktail coupe
2 ounces gin
6 fresh mint leaves, plus additional leaves for garnish
¾ ounce *simple syrup (or 1-ounce elderflower syrup)
¾ ounce fresh lime juice
3 drops cocktail bitters
- Add mint leaves and simple syrup to a cocktail shaker and muddle.
- Add ice, then remaining ingredients to the cocktail shaker.
- Shake ingredients well.
- Double strain with both a Hawthorne and fine strainer into a martini glass.
- Garnish with a floating mint leaf and enjoy!
Simple syrup recipe
1 cup sugar
1 cup water
- Combine ingredients into a saucepan.
- Stir, making sure sugar dissolves.
- Bring to a boil.
- Turn off flame and let it cool down.
- Place syrup into a glass bottle and place in fridge. Will last up to three weeks.