Activity Planning Grid | 1 or 2 Hours | 3 Meetings | 6 Meetings
1. Get kids exploring materials and thinking about creative solutions with Newspaper Tower.
2. Introduce force and load with the Hands-On Glossary mini-activities.
3. Brainstorm possible structures for a Local Wonders project. Choose a site. Make a plan for collecting information.
1. Depending on what type of structure your Local Wonder is, choose a few mini-activities from the Hands-On Glossary to introduce relevant concepts.
2. Visit the Local Wonder. Collect information about the structure (for some ideas see Local Wonders section of this guide). Take photographs and/or draw the structure.
- For bridges: compression, tension, bending, cantilever, truss
- For domes, skyscrapers, or other buildings: compression, tension, shear, arch, or dome
- For dams or tunnels: compression, arch
1. Depending on the Local Wonder, do an activity to introduce relevant concepts.
2. Analyze the information collected about the Local Wonder and
complete your writeup.
See Writeup Directions for key information to include.
3. Visit the Wonders of the World Databank to compare your Local Wonder with other structures.
The Educator Idea pages suggest video segments that support each hands-on activity.