Episode 1: The Black Atlantic
The Black Atlantic explores the global experiences that created the African-American people. The episode portrays the earliest Africans, slave and ...
The Cotton Economy and Slavery
Slavery was the fuel for a global cotton economy. The spread of plantations in the Deep South led to the forced migration known today as slavery's ...
Robert Smalls: A Daring Escape
The future South Carolina Representative to Congress made a daring escape from slavery when he sailed a war ship past Fort Sumter.
Racist Images and Messages in Jim Crow Era
Racist images in the Jim Crow era demeaned African Americans and legitimized violence against them. A visit to the Jim Crow Museum in Michigan.
A More Perfect Union (1968 – 2013). Full Episode
From the Black Power movement to the first black president of the United States.
Civil Rights Movement Leaders in Conversation
Rep. John Lewis of Georgia, journalist Charlayne Hunter-Gault and Chairman Emeritus of the NAACP Julian Bond.
Henry Louis Gates, Jr.'s 100 Amazing Facts About the Negro
- ’12 Years a Slave’: Trek From Slave to ScreenAs a literary scholar and cultural historian who has spent a lifetime searching out African Americans' lost, forgotten and otherwise unheralded tales, I was honored to serve as a historical consultant on Steve McQueen's "12 Years a Slave," most certainly one of the most vivid and authentic portrayals of slavery ever captured in a feature film.
- What Is Juneteenth?What is Juneteenth and why are 42 states and the District of Columbia celebrating it this year?
- Did African-American Slaves Rebel?The five greatest slave rebellions in the United States.
- What Was the Civil Rights Movement?A report shows too few U.S. high-schoolers know about the Civil Rights movement.
- Free Blacks Lived in the North, Right?During slavery, why did free blacks stay in the South?
Find educational resources related to this program - and access to thousands of curriculum-targeted digital resources for the classroom at PBS LearningMedia.Visit PBS Learning Media