Episode 1: The Black Atlantic
The Black Atlantic explores the global experiences that created the African-American people. The episode portrays the earliest Africans, slave and ...
The Cotton Economy and Slavery
Slavery was the fuel for a global cotton economy. The spread of plantations in the Deep South led to the forced migration known today as slavery's ...
Robert Smalls: A Daring Escape
The future South Carolina Representative to Congress made a daring escape from slavery when he sailed a war ship past Fort Sumter.
Racist Images and Messages in Jim Crow Era
Racist images in the Jim Crow era demeaned African Americans and legitimized violence against them. A visit to the Jim Crow Museum in Michigan.
A More Perfect Union (1968 – 2013). Full Episode
From the Black Power movement to the first black president of the United States.
Civil Rights Movement Leaders in Conversation
Rep. John Lewis of Georgia, journalist Charlayne Hunter-Gault and Chairman Emeritus of the NAACP Julian Bond.
Henry Louis Gates, Jr.'s 100 Amazing Facts About the Negro
- Free Blacks Lived in the North, Right?During slavery, why did free blacks stay in the South?
- ’12 Years a Slave’: Trek From Slave to ScreenAs a literary scholar and cultural historian who has spent a lifetime searching out African Americans' lost, forgotten and otherwise unheralded tales, I was honored to serve as a historical consultant on Steve McQueen's "12 Years a Slave," most certainly one of the most vivid and authentic portrayals of slavery ever captured in a feature film.
- Madam Walker, the First Black American Woman to Be a Self-Made MillionaireMadam C.J. Walker, the first black millionairess in America, invented the world's first hair-straightening formula.
- ‘Plessy v. Ferguson’: Who Was Plessy?Who was the Plessy in the Plessy v. Ferguson Supreme Court case that established the separate-but-equal policy for separating the races?
- How Many Slaves Landed in the U.S.?Just a tiny percentage of Africans shipped to the New World landed in North America.
Find educational resources related to this program - and access to thousands of curriculum-targeted digital resources for the classroom at PBS LearningMedia.Visit PBS Learning Media