Episode 1: The Black Atlantic
The Black Atlantic explores the global experiences that created the African-American people. The episode portrays the earliest Africans, slave and ...
The Cotton Economy and Slavery
Slavery was the fuel for a global cotton economy. The spread of plantations in the Deep South led to the forced migration known today as slavery's ...
Robert Smalls: A Daring Escape
The future South Carolina Representative to Congress made a daring escape from slavery when he sailed a war ship past Fort Sumter.
Racist Images and Messages in Jim Crow Era
Racist images in the Jim Crow era demeaned African Americans and legitimized violence against them. A visit to the Jim Crow Museum in Michigan.
A More Perfect Union (1968 – 2013). Full Episode
From the Black Power movement to the first black president of the United States.
Civil Rights Movement Leaders in Conversation
Rep. John Lewis of Georgia, journalist Charlayne Hunter-Gault and Chairman Emeritus of the NAACP Julian Bond.
Henry Louis Gates, Jr.'s 100 Amazing Facts About the Negro
- Madam Walker, the First Black American Woman to Be a Self-Made MillionaireMadam C.J. Walker, the first black millionairess in America, invented the world's first hair-straightening formula.
- Was Jackie Robinson Court-Martialed?Robinson's struggle for equality began in the Army, before he integrated baseball.
- What Was Black America’s Double War?The Double V Campaign demanded an end to segregation in the Armed Forces during World War II
- The Black Governor Who Was Almost a SenatorWhy didn't more than one black person serve in the Senate during the Reconstruction era -- a condition that persisted until this year?
- Who Were the African Americans in the Kennedy Administration?In the first six months of the Kennedy Administration, some 50 black men (and women) were appointed to executive branch jobs.
Find educational resources related to this program - and access to thousands of curriculum-targeted digital resources for the classroom at PBS LearningMedia.Visit PBS Learning Media