Episode 1: The Black Atlantic
The Black Atlantic explores the global experiences that created the African-American people. The episode portrays the earliest Africans, slave and ...
The Cotton Economy and Slavery
Slavery was the fuel for a global cotton economy. The spread of plantations in the Deep South led to the forced migration known today as slavery's ...
Robert Smalls: A Daring Escape
The future South Carolina Representative to Congress made a daring escape from slavery when he sailed a war ship past Fort Sumter.
Racist Images and Messages in Jim Crow Era
Racist images in the Jim Crow era demeaned African Americans and legitimized violence against them. A visit to the Jim Crow Museum in Michigan.
A More Perfect Union (1968 – 2013). Full Episode
From the Black Power movement to the first black president of the United States.
Civil Rights Movement Leaders in Conversation
Rep. John Lewis of Georgia, journalist Charlayne Hunter-Gault and Chairman Emeritus of the NAACP Julian Bond.
Henry Louis Gates, Jr.'s 100 Amazing Facts About the Negro
- ‘Plessy v. Ferguson': Who Was Plessy?Who was the Plessy in the Plessy v. Ferguson Supreme Court case that established the separate-but-equal policy for separating the races?
- Cory Booker and the First Black SenatorsThe senators in power after the Civil War had to settle a fundamental question when it came to seating Hiram R. Revels, the first black senator-elect, in 1870: Was it too soon, according to the Constitution, for any black man to be legally entitled to serve?
- Who Really Invented the ‘Talented Tenth’?Who originated the concept of the "Talented Tenth" black leadership class?
- What Was the Civil Rights Movement?A report shows too few U.S. high-schoolers know about the Civil Rights movement.
- Was Jackie Robinson Court-Martialed?Robinson's struggle for equality began in the Army, before he integrated baseball.
Find educational resources related to this program - and access to thousands of curriculum-targeted digital resources for the classroom at PBS LearningMedia.Visit PBS Learning Media