Episode 1: The Black Atlantic
The Black Atlantic explores the global experiences that created the African-American people. The episode portrays the earliest Africans, slave and ...
The Cotton Economy and Slavery
Slavery was the fuel for a global cotton economy. The spread of plantations in the Deep South led to the forced migration known today as slavery's ...
Robert Smalls: A Daring Escape
The future South Carolina Representative to Congress made a daring escape from slavery when he sailed a war ship past Fort Sumter.
Racist Images and Messages in Jim Crow Era
Racist images in the Jim Crow era demeaned African Americans and legitimized violence against them. A visit to the Jim Crow Museum in Michigan.
A More Perfect Union (1968 – 2013). Full Episode
From the Black Power movement to the first black president of the United States.
Civil Rights Movement Leaders in Conversation
Rep. John Lewis of Georgia, journalist Charlayne Hunter-Gault and Chairman Emeritus of the NAACP Julian Bond.
Henry Louis Gates, Jr.'s 100 Amazing Facts About the Negro
- Cory Booker and the First Black SenatorsThe senators in power after the Civil War had to settle a fundamental question when it came to seating Hiram R. Revels, the first black senator-elect, in 1870: Was it too soon, according to the Constitution, for any black man to be legally entitled to serve?
- Who Were the African Americans in the Kennedy Administration?In the first six months of the Kennedy Administration, some 50 black men (and women) were appointed to executive branch jobs.
- What Was America’s First Black Town?Spanish Florida was the African-American slaves’ first Promised Land.
- Who Really Ran the Underground Railroad?Seven common myths about the Underground Railroad, and how they have sometimes overwhelmed historical facts.
- Madam Walker, the First Black American Woman to Be a Self-Made MillionaireMadam C.J. Walker, the first black millionairess in America, invented the world's first hair-straightening formula.
Find educational resources related to this program - and access to thousands of curriculum-targeted digital resources for the classroom at PBS LearningMedia.Visit PBS Learning Media