Episode 1: The Black Atlantic
The Black Atlantic explores the global experiences that created the African-American people. The episode portrays the earliest Africans, slave and ...
The Cotton Economy and Slavery
Slavery was the fuel for a global cotton economy. The spread of plantations in the Deep South led to the forced migration known today as slavery's ...
Robert Smalls: A Daring Escape
The future South Carolina Representative to Congress made a daring escape from slavery when he sailed a war ship past Fort Sumter.
Racist Images and Messages in Jim Crow Era
Racist images in the Jim Crow era demeaned African Americans and legitimized violence against them. A visit to the Jim Crow Museum in Michigan.
A More Perfect Union (1968 – 2013). Full Episode
From the Black Power movement to the first black president of the United States.
Civil Rights Movement Leaders in Conversation
Rep. John Lewis of Georgia, journalist Charlayne Hunter-Gault and Chairman Emeritus of the NAACP Julian Bond.
Henry Louis Gates, Jr.'s 100 Amazing Facts About the Negro
- George Washington’s Runaway Slave, HarryHarry's determination to be free suggests that not all of the slaves found Washington to be the benevolent master whom historians have depicted.
- J. A. Rogers’ 100 Amazing Facts About the NegroHenry Louis Gates, Jr. describes the man who inspired his 100 Amazing Facts About the Negro series.
- The Black Governor Who Was Almost a SenatorWhy didn't more than one black person serve in the Senate during the Reconstruction era -- a condition that persisted until this year?
- What Was the Second Middle Passage?The growth of the cotton economy and the internal slave trade in America forced families to separate and migrate once again.
- Should Blacks Collect Racist Memorabilia?Henry Louis Gates Jr. makes a case for saving racist imagery that worked in tandem with Jim Crow laws.
Find educational resources related to this program - and access to thousands of curriculum-targeted digital resources for the classroom at PBS LearningMedia.Visit PBS Learning Media