- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 28-ounce cans diced tomatoes or 3 1/2 pounds fresh tomatoes peeled, seeded and diced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Pinch of crushed red pepper
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a large heavy pan or Dutch oven over medium-low heat. Add onion and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and crushed red pepper; cook for 30 to 60 seconds.
- Add tomatoes, tomato paste and oregano; mash with a potato masher.
- Bring to a boil. Simmer, uncovered, over low heat, stirring frequently, until the tomatoes cook down to a thick mass, 45 to 55 minutes. Season with pepper.
Tips/Techniques© 2005 Eating Well Inc.
This segment appears in show #3004.