This Dosa cheeseburgers recipe appears in Food Flirts. Dosas are crêpes from Southern India made from a batter of stone-ground fermented lentils, rice, fenugreek seeds and water.
Making dosas is all in the technique. An electric crêpe-maker tends to be the easiest way to attempt dosas in a home kitchen. Vegetarian burgers can be substituted for beef burgers.
- For the Burgers:
- 1 pound of ground beef 85% lean
- Canola oil for grill
- Kosher salt
- Garam Masala to taste
- Romaine lettuce leaves
- Pickled beefsteak tomatoes (see recipe)
- Yogurt sauce (see recipe)
- For the Dosas:
- 1-2 cups of dosa batter
- Canola oil for crêpe-maker
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- To make Burgers: Form 4 ounces of beef into ovals and place on a jelly roll pan or platter covered with parchment paper or wax paper.
- Brush grill with canola oil and turn heat to high. Place oval burgers on prepared grill, and smash down with a metal spatula to form char on bottom. Sprinkle with kosher salt and garam masala to taste. When burgers are charred golden brown on the bottoms, turn burgers, and press down again to char other side. Season second side with kosher salt and garam masala. Continue cooking burgers until no pink color remains throughout. Grilled beef burgers should reach an internal temperature of 160ºF to be safely eaten. Place grilled burgers on a clean platter and use to put together Dosa Cheeseburgers.
- To make Dosas: Follow instructions provided by manufacturer of your crêpe-maker. Heat crêpe-maker as directed by manufacturer, and lightly grease surface with canola oil using a brush. Using a metal measuring cup, place ¼ to ½ cup of Dosa batter on the prepared surface of the crêpe-maker, adjusting the amount of batter according to the diameter of the surface of the crêpe-maker. Coat the bottom of the metal measuring cup with vegetable oil spray, and then smooth batter lightly into a round, about 10 inches in diameter on top of crêpe-maker. Dosas should be thin. Do not press down heavily onto surface of dosa because it will stick or tear. Allow dosa to brown on the bottom, and then start lifting carefully with wooden crêpe knife or non-stick spatula to loosen dosa from surface of crêpe-maker. Sprinkle each dosa with 2 tablespoons of shredded American cheese. The cheese will immediately start to melt. Remove dosa from crêpe-maker and place on plate. Repeat, making and plating three more dosas.
- To assemble Dosa Cheeseburgers: Spread dosas with Yogurt Sauce, add lettuce leaves, and pickled tomatoes. Place grilled burgers on top of prepared dosas. Drizzle more Yogurt Sauce on top of Dosa Cheeseburgers, and fold dosas over filling. Dosas should be eaten the same day they are made. Leftover burgers can be wrapped in plastic wrap and stored in the refrigerator until ready to be re-heated and served.
Tips/TechniquesIt is easier to assemble the Dosa Cheeseburgers if one person grills the burgers while the other is preparing the dosas.
Garam Masala is a blend of ground spices common in India, Pakistan, and other South Asian cuisines. It can be bought in Indian grocery stores.