- 1 tablespoon crystallized ginger
- 1/2 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 5 slices white sandwich bread (4 ounces) coarsely torn
- 4 mangoes (4 pounds) peeled, pitted, and cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a food processor, pulse ginger until finely chopped. Add brown sugar, allspice, and bread. Pulse until coarse crumbs form. Sprinkle 1/2 cup of crumb mixture in the bottom of an 8-inch square (2-quart) baking dish; fill with mangoes, and drizzle with lemon juice. Level fruit with the back of a spoon.
- Top with remaining crumb mixture; dot with butter. Bake until crumbs are golden brown and fruit is bubbly, about 45 minutes. Serve.