- 1 1/2 lbs asparagus, stems peeled and trimmed
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- Pinch of fresh thyme
- Pinch of chopped fresh parsley
- 1 egg hard cooked and chopped
- 1/2 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp fine capers, drained
- Salt and freshly ground white pepper
- Wash the asparagus and trim the tough ends of the stalks. In a large saucepan, bring 2 quarts of lightly salted water to a boil over high heat. Place the asparagus in the water and cook until just tender, 2-3 minutes.
- Drain asparagus. Add enough cold water to cover the asparagus. Let stand about 5 minutes, until the asparagus is cool.
- Drain again and pat the asparagus dry with paper towels. In a medium-size mixing bowl, whisk together the vinegar, oil, thyme, parsley, egg, onion, and capers, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Place the asparagus on a serving platter. Pour the vinaigrette evenly over the asparagus. Let the asparagus marinate in the dressing for a few minutes (optional). Garnish with additional chopped egg and parsley, if desired. Serve at room temperature.
Tips/TechniquesYou will also need a large saucepan and a medium mixing bowl.