- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter melted, plus more for pan
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled)
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin-pie spice (or 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon, 3/4 teaspoon ginger, 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg, and 1/8 teaspoon each allspice and cloves)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 (15 ounce) can solid-pack pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1 bar (8 ounces) regular (or reduced-fat) cream cheese
- 1/4 cup honey
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 9-inch square baking pan.
- In a medium bowl, whisk flour, baking soda, salt, and pumpkin-pie spice. In a large bowl, whisk eggs, sugar, butter, and pumpkin puree until combined. Add dry ingredients to pumpkin mixture, and mix gently until smooth.
- Turn batter into prepared pan, and smooth top. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out with just a few moist crumbs attached, 45 to 50 minutes. Cool cake 10 minutes in pan, then turn out of pan, and cool completely, right side up, on a rack.
- Make Honey Frosting: In a medium bowl, whisk 1/2 cup (1 stick) very soft unsalted butter, 1 bar (8 ounces) very soft regular (or reduced-fat) cream cheese, and 1/4 cup honey until smooth.
- Spread top of cooled cake with Honey Frosting. Cut cake into squares to serve.
Tips/TechniquesNote: You can also use a 9-by-5-inch loaf pan: Increase baking time by 25 to 30 minutes (tent loaf with foil if it browns too quickly).