- 14 ounce (400 gram) can beans
- 2 tablespoons lard
- 1/2 small onion, finely minced
- Cotija cheese for garnish
- Put a colander over a bowl, and drain the beans, saving the liquid for later.
- Put the lard in a skillet over medium heat, and fry the onions until tender and just starting to brown around the edges.
- Add the drained beans and fry while mashing with a fork or potato masher. Keep mashing and frying until the beans form a thick paste and start to brown.
- Add in the liquid from the beans until the refried beans are the consistency you want them to be (i.e. more liquid = more runny). If you want a smoother texture, you can use an immersion blender to puree the beans.
- Serve with a sprinkling of crumbled Cotija cheese and hot sauce.