Roasted Hen of the Woods
Hen of the Woods is a mushroom variety with a robust earthy aroma. (Recipe Courtesy: Marc Matsumoto of the Fresh Tastes blog)
- 300 grams maitake mushrooms
- 5 sprigs thyme, minced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- flaked sea salt (such as Maldon)
- black pepper
- Put the oven rack in the middle position and preheat the oven to 300 degrees F (150 C). If you have a convection oven, use the convection mode.
- Trim any tough bits of stem or growing medium off the bottom and then shred the mushrooms into small clusters. Put them in a bowl and toss with the olive oil and thyme.
- Line the clusters up in a single layer on a sheet pan and roast until the mushrooms are golden brown and crisp around the edges (50-60 minutes).
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste and serve immediately.