Sorullos (Corn Fritters) with Dipping Sauce
View all FOODPHILES recipes
Recipe courtesy of Maracas via WTTW Chicago
Prep time: 30 Minutes
Cook time: 25 Minutes
Total time: 55 Minutes
Yield: 20 fritters
- For the Sorullos:
- 2 cups water
- 1 tbsp. salt
- 2 cups cornmeal, or as needed
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 3 cups of corn oil for frying
- For the Dipping Sauce:
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- Pinch of garlic salt
- Bring water to a boil and add salt and butter, and stir in the sugar. Lower the heat, add in the cornmeal, and stir slowly until you see a smooth texture and dough. Stir constantly for 3 -5 minutes. Let the mixture cool.
- Shape 2 tablespoons of dough into a stick about 3 inches long. Repeat the same process with the remaining dough.
- Heat the 3 cups of oil in a large pan at 350 degrees. When it becomes hot, fry the dough until golden brown on all sides.
- For the Dipping Sauce: Mix mayonnaise, ketchup, and garlic salt together in a bowl until well combined. Serve with cornmeal sticks.