- 4 cups heavy cream
- 3 egg yolks
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 1 vanilla bean, split and seeds removed
- Prepare an ice bath by filling a large bowl with ice water and setting a slightly smaller bowl atop.
- In a medium sized sauce pot, bring the cream, half of the sugar, and the vanilla beans and pod to a simmer
- Meanwhile, in a medium sized bowl whisk together egg yolks and remaining sugar until light
- Slowly add hot cream to egg mixture, ¼ cup at a time, whisking all the while.
- Return the pot to the stove and cook over low heat, stirring constantly with a rubber spatula, until it is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Transfer the custard to the ice bath and cool it, stirring occasionally, until it is cool to the touch. Remove from ice bath, cover, and refrigerate until cold.
- Spin in ice cream maker following the manufacturer’s instructions.
Tips/TechniquesThis vanilla ice cream is pictured with sauce and almonds, which you may add or change to include your own toppings.