The 24-hour news cycle is filled with politics coverage, but not everything gets the attention it deserves. Here are five politics stories you may have missed in the past week.
- The border fence looms over these Texans. Should the government pay them?
- Glowing Auras and ‘Black Money’: The Pentagon’s Mysterious U.F.O. Program
- Tax Bill to Preserve Critical Credits for Wind, Solar and Electric Vehicles
- Wariness, excitement follow plans to expand drug courts
- Judge blocks Trump rollback of Obamacare contraception mandate
The Department of Homeland Security limits compensation for Texas landowners whose homes have been disrupted by the government seizing land for the construction of a border wall. — Texas Tribune, 12/15
A Times investigation uncovers a secret Pentagon program funded to investigate reports of Unidentified Flying Objects. — New York Times, 12/16
Congress will vote on a tax bill this week that maintains tax credits for renewable energy companies. — InsideClimate News, 12/18
Massachusetts gives a glimpse into the effectiveness of drug courts, a diversion program for nonviolent drug offenders that the Trump administration may expand into the federal system. — Boston Globe, 12/11
A federal judge stopped a Trump administration effort that would enforce new laws allowing employers to claim moral or religious objection to providing Obamacare-mandated birth control. — Politico, 12/15