The 24-hour news cycle is filled with politics coverage, but not everything gets the attention it deserves. Here are five politics stories you may have missed in the past week.
- Anxiety over GOP health bill grows in Missouri, Kansas as it approaches Senate vote — 6/20. The secretive process frustrated voters in Missouri and Kansas who are concerned with how the bill would affect people with disabilities. — Kansas City Star
- ‘America’s Toughest Sheriff’ Joe Arpaio Goes On Trial — 6/26. Former Maricopa County sheriff Joe Arpaio was voted out of office in November and now faces a criminal trial. — NPR
- Koch network to Trump administration: “You are never going to win the war on drugs. Drugs won.” — 6/25. In Colorado Springs, the Koch network takes a stance on marijuana legalization that puts them at odds with the Trump administration. — Denver Post
- North Dakota’s last Democrat? — 6/22. Sen. Heidi Heitkamp, D-N.D., says she has a better relationship with President Donald Trump than she did with President Barack Obama. — Politico
- Trump Signs Bill Meant to Restore Trust in V.A. — 6/23. The law enjoyed bipartisan support and gives Veterans Affairs Secretary David Shulkin broader power to reform the agency. — New York Times