By — Hannah Grabenstein Hannah Grabenstein Leave your feedback Share Copy URL https://www.pbs.org/newshour/politics/watch-cbs-cuts-vances-mic-during-fact-check-on-immigration Email Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Tumblr Share on Facebook Share on Twitter WATCH: CBS cuts Vance’s mic during fact check on immigration Politics Oct 2, 2024 11:30 AM EDT Sen. JD Vance’s microphone was cut during the vice presidential debate Tuesday after he pushed back on a fact check by moderators over immigration policy. CBS reporter Margaret Brennan fact checked Vance’s earlier statements about Haitian immigrants in Springfield, Ohio, noting that there are a large number of migrants with legal status in the city. WATCH: 9 takeaways from the Vance-Walz VP debate “Since you’re fact checking me, I think it’s important to say what’s actually going on,” Vance said, before launching into an explanation of the CBP One app, which is a way for migrants to schedule appointments at a port of entry where they could be granted parole into the country. The moderators tried to get control of the debate, but Vance’s opponent, Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz, tried to interject as well. Ultimately, Brennan told both candidates their microphones had been cut, per a ground rule established before the debate, so they could move on to other topics. With just more than a month to go before Election Day, Vance and Walz met for their first and only vice presidential debate on Oct. 1, hosted by CBS in New York. Find more of our coverage Live fact check: Vance and Walz meet for presidential debate Updates: Walz and Vance meet for VP debate in New York WATCH: How Walz and Vance prepared for the vice presidential debate WATCH: Vance won’t say Trump lost 2020 election. Walz says that’s a ‘damning non-answer’ WATCH: The significance of Vance’s appearance at event hosted by far-right Christian nationalist We're not going anywhere. Stand up for truly independent, trusted news that you can count on! Donate now By — Hannah Grabenstein Hannah Grabenstein @hgrabenstein
Sen. JD Vance’s microphone was cut during the vice presidential debate Tuesday after he pushed back on a fact check by moderators over immigration policy. CBS reporter Margaret Brennan fact checked Vance’s earlier statements about Haitian immigrants in Springfield, Ohio, noting that there are a large number of migrants with legal status in the city. WATCH: 9 takeaways from the Vance-Walz VP debate “Since you’re fact checking me, I think it’s important to say what’s actually going on,” Vance said, before launching into an explanation of the CBP One app, which is a way for migrants to schedule appointments at a port of entry where they could be granted parole into the country. The moderators tried to get control of the debate, but Vance’s opponent, Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz, tried to interject as well. Ultimately, Brennan told both candidates their microphones had been cut, per a ground rule established before the debate, so they could move on to other topics. With just more than a month to go before Election Day, Vance and Walz met for their first and only vice presidential debate on Oct. 1, hosted by CBS in New York. Find more of our coverage Live fact check: Vance and Walz meet for presidential debate Updates: Walz and Vance meet for VP debate in New York WATCH: How Walz and Vance prepared for the vice presidential debate WATCH: Vance won’t say Trump lost 2020 election. Walz says that’s a ‘damning non-answer’ WATCH: The significance of Vance’s appearance at event hosted by far-right Christian nationalist We're not going anywhere. Stand up for truly independent, trusted news that you can count on! Donate now