White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders said Monday that allegations of sexual misconduct against President Donald Trump “took place long before he was elected president,” saying in response to calls for a Congressional investigation that Trump had already addressed and denied all accusations against him.
Three women on Monday asked Congress to investigate Mr. Trump over allegations of sexual misconduct that date back to the 1980s. At least 16 women have made such claims against Trump, all of them for incidents that occurred before he took office.
Trump has denied the allegations, many of which came to light in the final two months of his presidential campaign last fall. Until Monday, he and the White House have declined to answer questions about the allegations since then.
Sanders said in Monday’s news briefing that “the people of this country, in a decisive election, supported President Trump,” saying that voters knew about the allegations and voted for him anyway.
“The president has firsthand knowledge on what he did or didn’t do,” Sanders added.
Three members of Congress resigned last week over similar accusations, becoming the latest in a series of powerful men who have been accused of sexual misconduct.
Trump has lent support to Republican Alabama senate candidate Roy Moore, who has been accused by several women of sexual misconduct when they were teenagers and Moore was an assistant district attorney. The allegations have become a focal point of Tuesday’s election to fill the seat left vacant by Attorney General Jeff Sessions.