Air Force Gen. Tod Wolters, head of U.S. European Command, said Thursday that so far only one individual evacuated from Afghanistan is being detained in Germany for problems getting through security screening.
Defense Department press secretary John Kirby and Air Force Gen. Glen VanHerck will hold a media briefing at 11 a.m. Eastern today. Watch their remarks in the player above.
Speaking to reporters, he said that as far as he knows, the person in custody “is not of a high threat.”
Right now, he said, about 58 individuals triggered additional security checks and processing as they arrived at the way stations in Europe, and needed additional checks.
But he said he expects they will all eventually be cleared.
Afghan evacuees are being flown to several locations across the Middle East and Europe, including Germany, Italy and Spain.
Wolters said 155 flights have landed in Europe, with about 38,000 people.
He said they go through biometric and biographical screening when they arrive, before they are shown to their sleeping quarters.
They are screened again when they leave, and again when they arrive in the U.S.
He said there have been few issues with COVID-19 cases, and most of the people requiring some type of medical attention have been pregnant women.
Meanwhile Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin has agreed to restart 16 defense advisory committees, after halting activity by all the Pentagon boards in February and essentially purging a number of members who were appointed in the final days of the Trump administration.
Pentagon spokesman John Kirby said a sweeping review of all the boards is complete, and Austin has begun taking action on some of the recommendations from that study.
The 16 boards being reinstated so far include many of the more prominent panels, including the Defense policy, business, science and health boards.