I support my local station, PBS, and/or NPR. Why should I directly support PBS NewsHour?

The Corporation for Public Broadcasting (CPB) receives a congressional appropriation each year of about $500M. CPB allocates the appropriation mostly to public television and radio stations, with some assigned to NPR and PBS to support national programming.

CPB funding to stations covers a portion of each’s annual operating budget (the percentage varies from station to station but as a general rule the percentage is smaller for larger market stations). Stations rely on generous donations from viewers like you, corporate sponsorships, and foundation grants to cover the rest of their operating budget.

Part of each station’s operating budget is programming dues which it pays to PBS (and NPR) for National programming like PBS NewsHour.

The NewsHour receives about 35% of its annual funding/budget from CPB and PBS via national programming funds – a combination of CPB appropriation funds and annual programming dues paid to PBS by stations re-allocated to programs like ours. The remaining 65% is generated from individual donations, foundation grants and corporate sponsorships.

How do I give a gift of appreciated stock, a direct distribution from an IRA, or through a Donor Advised Fund?

How to donate appreciated stock to benefit PBS NewsHour at WETA

When providing instructions to your broker, please be sure to have the stock transfer clearly designate the donation to the Greater Washington Educational Telecommunications Association, Inc. (WETA). WETA’s Federal Tax Identification Number is 53-0242992.

Please call Debbie Eliason at (703) 998-1834 or send an email to deliason@weta.org for information on how to give a gift of stock.

How to donate to PBS NewsHour from your IRA

To make a direct charitable distribution from your IRA to support PBS NewsHour at WETA, contact your IRA plan administrator and ask them to send your charitable distribution to Greater Washington Educational Telecommunications Assoc., Inc. (WETA), a 501(c)(3) charity, tax ID #53-0242992, and mail it to: WETA, Attention: Debbie Eliason, 3939 Campbell Avenue, Arlington, VA 22206. Please note that the gift is to benefit PBS NewsHour.

Please notify us of your pending IRA donation to PBS NewsHour. Call Debbie Eliason at (703) 998-1834 or send an email to deliason@weta.org with the name of your administrator or plan (TD Ameritrade, Fidelity, Schwab, etc.) so that we can appropriate credit your gift to PBS NewsHour when received.

How to donate to the PBS NewsHour through a Donor Advised Fund

PBS NewsHour is a subsidiary of WETA. Please select “Greater Washington Educational Telecommunication Association (WETA)” as the beneficiary of your gift and designate PBS NewsHour in the notes field. For more information, please contact Alyson Brokenshire at abrokenshire@newshour.org or 703-998-2693.

Is there an address I can use to mail a check?

To make a gift by check, make your check payable to WETA, and note “PBS NewsHour” on the memo line, and mail to:

PBS NewsHour

Attention: Alyson Brokenshire

3939 Campbell Avenue

Arlington, VA 22206

Will my gift to PBS NewsHour include access to PBS Passport?

No. Passport is a benefit of membership in local stations. Please consider supporting your local station to receive membership information for Passport.

A gift to PBS NewsHour is 100% tax deductible. There are no goods or services provided in exchange for your contribution.

What is FONH?

FONH stands for Friends of the NewsHour, a group of dedicated individuals and family foundations who provide philanthropic support for the NewsHour to expand its quality on-air and online reporting around the world, and across many subjects including the economy, science, education, health, politics, the arts and more. This group is committed to helping secure the NewsHour’s future by enabling the best journalism to thrive, grow, and adapt. Friends of the NewsHour receive text-on-screen recognition in the broadcast credits. Learn more here or become a Friend of the NewsHour today by making a gift of $25,000 or more.

What is WETA?

WETA stands for Greater Washington Educational Telecommunications Association, Inc. PBS NewsHour is produced by NewsHour Productions, LLC a wholly-owned non-profit subsidiary of WETA.

Who can I contact about making a gift or about updating my information?

For information about making a gift please contact Alyson Brokenshire, Senior Director, PBS NewsHour Principal and Major Gifts, at abrokenshire@newshour.org or 703-998-2693.

If you want to update your contact information, request a tax receipt, or send us a comment on how we are doing, please email fonh@newshour.org.

I live abroad and the NewsHour donation page is not working. How can I give to PBS NewsHour?

If you are having trouble entering your address into the donation page link please email fonh@newshour.org and we can send you a form that can accommodate a foreign address.