(trumpets blowing) (crowd applauding) - Oh, my God.
(trumpet blowing) I'd like to hear a little more elegante.
(trumpet blowing) - Now you're making music.
- What's the best piece of advice you could give to a student?
- One word, practice.
90 percent of trumpet playing is done with your mind.
You gotta control your own mind.
You're gonna have conductors doing this to you.
The minute you see that hand come like that, you know you're doing the right thing.
You need to go like this.
I'm here to tell you, you can do it.
- What advice do you have on surviving the male-dominated trumpet world?
- Get tough. - OK - Be tough. - Mm-hmm.
- And cut them right off at the knees.
The first thing they say to you, that's male chauvinist, just chop them up into pieces right then and there.
And then you won't have to waste time dealing with that person again.
You gotta good quick mind.
Bam, let them have it right off.
You belong to a gym?
- Yeah, we go to the YMCA.
- I'd rather see you at a Gold's.
The first thing that counts is the music.
This is just a trumpet.
- Play it as much like a violin or an opera voice as you can.
And don't be ordinary.
You don't have to be ordinary.
Go where the music is.