About Twins StudyNASA
The Twins Study is ten separate investigations coordinating together and sharing all data and analysis as one large, integrated research team. NASA has selected 10 investigations to conduct with identical twin astronauts Scott and Mark Kelly. These investigations will provide broader insight into the subtle effects and changes that may occur in spaceflight as compared to Earth by studying two individuals who have the same genetics, but are in different environments for one year.
The Twins Study is unique demonstration research to further NASA’s use of personalized medicine.
- Research techniques used in personalized medicine (technologies such as genetic sequencing) are employed to discern individual responses to the spaceflight environment
- Research from the molecular level to whole body function to brain function is being integrated together into one, coordinated study
The Twins Study is multi-faceted national cooperation between universities, corporations, and government laboratory expertise.
- 10 individual investigations
- 12 universities
- NASA biomedical laboratories
- National Space Biomedical Research Institute Consortium
This two-part series tracks Scott Kelly’s yearlong mission from training to return home.