(mellow acoustic music) - [Lidia] As the number of refugees and immigrants arriving in America has grown exponentially, I've been reflecting on my own journey.
- It's a pleasure to have you here, Lidia.
- [Lidia] Whether coming for safety, opportunity, or a better quality of life, immigrants like me have added to America's rich and diverse tapestry of culture, religion, and foods.
I feel lucky that my family was welcomed in the United States, a place where I have been able to become an American and share my Italian heritage - To the left, that's one of my uncle's farms.
- [Lidia] This year, I set out to meet some of our nation's more recent arrivals.
(Lidia speaking foreign language) What motivated their journey here?
- But I want safe surrounding for my son.
- [Lidia] What challenges have they faced?
- Around the same time I started loving to cook was the time that I started losing my vision.
- I can turn this pain and, you know, make something meaningful out of it.
- [Lidia] And what does being an American mean to them?
- I'm grateful, thankful for this country for giving me a second chance.
- [Lidia] Please join me for an unforgettable journey.
It's all coming up next on "Lidia Celebrates America: Flavors That Define Us."