Below please find several documents to prepare programs that have been accepted for broadcast by the PBS National Program Service and Plus Service.
The Red Book
PLEASE NOTE: The Red Book is currently under revision. Please speak with your programming contact for additional information.
Packaging, deliverable, promotion, technical, and legal guidelines for PBS broadcast programs.
Producers who have submitted programs to PBS but have not yet received final approval should not initiate the packaging and delivery process.
For more information about the Red Book, contact PBS Content Services at 703-739-5010.
- PBS Guide for Flag Notification -- Guidelines for notifying PBS of objectionable content prior to delivery of a program.
- PBS Guidelines for On-Air Announcements Promoting Program-Related Goods and Services
- Operating Parameters for Sponsorship Acknowledgment on Program Web Sites
Technical Operating Specifications (TOS)
All programs must meet the technical requirements set forth in PBS's Technical Operating Specifications (TOS) Manual (updated February 2016).
- TOS Submission (729.4 KB) is intended for producers, editors and engineers who are submitting programs for PBS broadcast.
- Satellite Uplinks (462.5 KB) and Distribution (406.1 KB) documents may also be referenced as applicable.
Manual for the development of websites for PBS.org
Photo Guidelines for producers