Terror suspect in Paris attacks arrested in police raid
Belgian authorities have arrested three men Friday, including terror suspect Salah Abdeslam, who has been in hiding since the November coordinated attacks in Paris that left 130 people dead, the Belgian prime minister said.
This evening is a success in fight against terrorism, said Belgian PM Charles Michel, after thanking security forces involved in Friday’s raid. The prime minister held a joint news conference with French president Francois Hollande, who said the investigation into the Paris attacks remain open, with more possible arrest to come.
“We got him,” Belgium’s Secretary of State for Asylum and Migration Theo Francken said on Twitter.
Two men fled an apartment in a Brussels neighborhood during an exchange of gunfire with police, one of whom was Abdeslam, French police told the Associated Press on Friday. He was reportedly shot in the leg and detained.
The 26-year-old French national was thought to be one of the key organizers in the Nov. 13 Paris attacks. Authorities believed he left for Belgium by car hours after the string of attacks on cafes, the soccer stadium and a concert hall. The Islamic State militant group took responsibility for the sieges.
Belgian federal prosecutor Eric Van der Sypt said earlier in the week that Abdeslam’s fingerprints were found in an apartment that police had inspected on Tuesday.