WASHINGTON — Robert Mueller is testifying before Congress that the Russians believed they would benefit from Donald Trump winning the 2016 presidential election.
The former special counsel was asked Wednesday if his investigation found the Russian government perceived a benefit if one of the candidates won.
“Yes,” he said.
And which candidate would that be? asked Rep. Zoe Lofgren, a California Democrat.
“It would be Trump,” Mueller said.
Mueller is testifying before Congress for the first time on his Trump-Russia investigation.
- WATCH: Robert Mueller’s full testimony before Congress
- Read Mueller’s opening statement before the House Judiciary Committee
- All of the Mueller report’s major findings in less than 30 minutes
- Read the full, redacted Mueller report
- The giant timeline of everything Russia, Trump and the investigations
- You may not believe the Mueller report no matter what it says
The PBS NewsHour produced this video. The Associated Press wrote this story.