The following list of books, memoirs, and reports offers a general overview. And, in the 'Appendix' section of this website, is a suggested reading list on particular subjects such as press coverage during the war.
- Atkinson, Rick Crusade: The Untold Story of the Persian Gulf War, Houghton Mifflin, 1993.
- Baker, James A. III The Politics of Diplomacy: Revolution, War, and Peace,1989-92, Putnam, 1995.
- Billiere, General Sir Peter de la Storm Command: A Personal Account of the Gulf War, London: Harper Collins, 1992.
- Coyne, James P. Airpower in the Gulf, Washington: Air Force Association, 1992.
- Fitzwater, Marlin Call the Briefing! Bush and Reagan, Sam and Helen: A Decade with Presidents and the Press., Times Books, 1995
- Gordon, Michael R. and Trainor, General Bernard E. The Generals' War: The Inside Story of the Conflict in the Gulf, Little Brown and Co., 1995.
- Powell, Colin with Joseph Persico My American Journey, Random House, 1995.
- Schwarzkopf, H. Norman, with Peter Petre It Doesn't Take A Hero, New York: Bantam, 1992.
- U.S. News & World Report. Triumph Without Victory: The Unreported History of the Persian Gulf War. Times Books, New York, 1992.
- Certain Victory: The American Army in the Gulf War. U.S. Army Special Study Group. Washington, February 1993.
- Conduct of the Persian Gulf Conflict: An Interim Report to Congress. U.S. Department of Defense, Washington, July 1991.
- Conduct of the Persian Gulf War.U.S. Department of Defense, Washington, April 1992.
- Defense for a New Era: Lessons of the Persian Gulf War.House Armed Services Committee. Washington: U.S. Government Printing Office, 1992.
- Gulf War Air Power Survey, U.S. Air Force summary report (draft), May 1993.
- The United States Navy in Desert Shield/Desert Storm. Washington: Department of the Navy, May 1991.
- Cureton, Lieutenant Colonel Charles H. with the U.S. Marine Corps Reserve U.S. Marines in the Persian Gulf, 1990-1991 with the Ist Marine Division in Desert Shield and Desert Storm, 1993.
- Mroczkowski, Lieutenant Colonel Dennis P. with the U.S. Marine Corps Reserve U.S. Marines in the Persian Gulf, 1990-1991 with the 2D Marine Division in Desert Shield and Desert Storm, 1993.
- White Paper: Air Force Performance in Desert Storm. U.S. Department of the Air Force, April 1991.
home · oral history · war stories · weapons · maps · chronology
tapes & transcripts
FRONTLINE · wgbh · pbs online
web site copyright 1995-2014
WGBH educational foundation