My Father, My Brother, and Me

Producers' Forum

Video Stories - Watch short stories Dave Iverson and Michael Schwarz filmed over the past two years while making My Father, My Brother, and Me.

New Features ... and Coming Soon, A Live Discussion

By David Iverson on January 29, 2009 11:48 AM | Comments (5)

Welcome to the updated My Father, My Brother and Me site! If you've visited before, you'll notice we've got a new look and lots of new features -- you'll find extended video from our interview with Michael J. Fox, answers to some of the most frequently asked questions about Parkinson's, and more. But maybe most exciting, by just clicking the link on the homepage you can now watch our whole film right on this site (five days ahead of our broadcast premiere -- an online-only sneak preview). So take a look around, and use the comments feature here at the producer's forum to let us know what you think!

I'll still be posting here tomorrow and next Tuesday, as usual. Plus, after the film's broadcast next Tuesday, February 3, we'll be having a live online discussion here starting at 10 p.m. ET. I and some of the nation's preeminent Parkinson's experts will be on hand to discuss the film and answer your questions -- so be sure to log on!

Janice Higgins said on January 30, 2009 7:09 AM:

Hello David, I was diagnosed with young onset PD in Nov 2008. I am married and have a 12 year old son. I watched the program online and was overwhelmed with emotions. It touched me in so many ways. Gratefulness, fear, sadness but most strikingly and predominantly a renewed sense of HOPE and DETERMINATION. Thank you for producing it and for reminding me that there is always hope. Looking forward to the live online discussion after the broadcast on Tuesday. Warm regards, Janice
Bob Davis said on January 31, 2009 7:55 AM:

David Kudos to you and your team for creating "My Father, My Brother, and Me". I found the film to be well balanced in relationship to the details of the disease, resulting impact to a "real person", and hope for the future. Since being diagnosed with PD 7 years ago at the age of 42, I realize that friends and family know very little about the disease. Your work will provide much needed information thereby increasing the public's understanding of PD. Thank you and PBS for making the film accessible online. I enjoyed watching it. Sincerely Bob
Gloria Tripp said on February 1, 2009 12:33 PM:

Since being diagnosed in 1998, I have maintained a healthy attitude towards having PD but I wish that the search for a "cure" would materialize. I have done research on the use of stem cells for treatment of PD in China and Europe. Would you say that it still to early to try this form of treatment? I know that it is outlawed at this point in the USA but I'm hoping President Obama will change the policy and let the USA begin to do research into the use of stem cells for many diseases or injuries (brain-injured). Thank you
Dave Iverson said on February 1, 2009 9:03 PM:

Thanks for these comments ... it really means a lot to me if it strikes the right cord within the PD community ... and please encourage people to participate in our post broadcast discussion!
Leonore Gordon said on February 3, 2009 7:32 PM:

That was a beautiful program. My late dad and I shared Parkinson's, and your story felt profoundly familiar, and moving. I'm a writer, a family therapist, a poet, and an educator, andd was raised to be a political activist, as well. I've had PD for over 10 years now, and am privileged to live in Brooklyn, NY, where I have been part of the Mark Morris dance class for five years, a singing class at the same location, and also participate in a twice-weekly exercise class clinical trial, which is at LIU. The dance and exercise regimen is vital for all of us in our ongoing abilities to remain active and creative participants in society, and I supplement it with 4 miles on my recumbent bike daily. This is in addition to my work for the past five or more? years as a congressional coordinator for the Parkinson's Action Network (PAN)(which MJ Fox helped to found,with Joan Samuelson.) I deeply believe that the hundreds of active and passionate folks from all over the world, living with 10/20/35 years of PD, who I meet at PAN events, and in my Brooklyn Parkinson's classes, are doing so well because not only exercise, but also advocacy and creative work, each undoubtedly are also neuro-generative, and neuro-protective. It would be great to mention PAN in online discussion,because even with the hope of Obama's supporting federal funding for stem cell research, we need everyone we can to either call their elected rep.'s in Congress, or go to DC this March for PAN's annual Forum, to meet with their elected officials and beg for research funding to cure PD, even with the economic crisis. Thank you again for touching my soul with your PBs special. best, Leonore Gordon