NO: MOST IMMEDIATE-CODE CABLE-212-xxx-xxxx
REQUEST FOR PROTECTION OF INFORMANT
NUMBER OF TRANSMITTED PAGES INCLUDING THIS ONE: 2
1. Force commander put in contact with informant by very very important
government politician. Informant is a top level trainer in the cadre of
interhamwe-armed militia of MRND.
2. He informed us he was in charge of last Saturdays demonstrations which
aims were to target deputies of opposition parties coming to ceremonies and
Belgian soldiers. They hoped to provoke the RPF BN to engage (being fired
upon) the demonstrators and provoke a civil war. Deputies were to be
assassinated upon entry or exit from Parliament. Belgian troops were to be
provoked and if Belgians soldiers restored to force a number of them were to be
killed and thus guarantee Belgian withdrawal from Rwanda.
3. Informant confirmed 48 RGF PARA CDO and a few members of the gendarmerie
participated in demonstrations in plain clothes. Also at least one Minister of
the MRND and the sous-prefect of Kigali were in the demonstration. RGF and
Interhamwe provided radio communications.
4. Informant is a former security member of the president. He also stated he
is paid RF150,000 per month by the MRND party to train Interhamwe. Direct link
is to chief of staff RGF and president of the MRND for financial and material
5. Interhamwe has trained 1700 men in RGF military camps outside the capital.
The 1700 are scattered in groups of 40 throughout Kigali. Since UNAMIR
deployed he has trained 300 personnel in three week training sessions at RGF
camps. Training focus was discipline, weapons, explosives, close combat and
6. Principal aim of Interhamwe in the past was to protect Kigali from RPF.
Since UNAMIR mandate he has been ordered to register all Tutsi in Kigali. He
suspects it is for their extermination. Example he gave was that in 20 minutes
his personnel could kill up to 1000 Tutsis.
7. Informant states he disagrees with anti-Tutsi extermination. He supports
opposition to RPF but cannot support killing of innocent persons. He also
stated that he believes the president does not have full control over all
elements of his old party/faction.
8. Informant is prepared to provide location of major weapons cache with at
least 135 weapons. He already has distributed 110 weapons including 35
with ammunition and can give us details of their location. Type of weapons are
G3 and AK47 provided by RGF. He was ready to go to the arms cache tonight-if
we gave him the following guarantee. He requests that he and his family (his
wife and four children) be placed under our protection.
9. It is our intention to take action within the next 36 hours with a
possible H HR of Wednesday at dawn (local). Informant states that hostilities
may commence again if political deadlock ends. Violence could take place day
of the ceremonies or the day after. Therefore Wednesday will give greatest
chance of success and also be most timely to provide significant input to
on-going political negotiations.
10. It is recommended that informant be granted protection and evacuated out
of Rwanda. This HQ does not have previous UN experience in such matters and
urgently requests guidance. No contact has as yet been made to any embassy in
order to inquire if they are prepared to protect him for a period of time by
granting diplomatic immunity in their embassy in Kigali before moving him and
his family out of the country.
11. Force commander will be meeting with the very very important political
person tomorrow morning in order to ensure that this individual is conscious of
all parameters of his involvement. Force commander does have certain
reservations on the suddenness of the change of heart of the informant to come
clean with this information. Recce of armed cache and detailed planning of
raid to go on late tomorrow. Possibility of a trap not fully excluded, as this
may be a set-up against this very very important political person. Force
commander to inform SRSG first thing in morning to ensure his support.
13. Peux Ce Que Veux. Allons-y.