Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell plans to seek a speedy impeachment trial of President Donald Trump.
In a Senate resolution released Monday evening and updated Tuesday, McConnell laid out the structure for the trial’s opening phase, with votes on witnesses deferred until next week.
The resolution would permit Trump’s lawyers to move early on to acquit the president and sets up a vote next week on calling witnesses such as former national security adviser John Bolton.
- Read the full articles of impeachment against Trump
- Should Trump be removed? Poll shows Americans are divided equally
- Read the White House’s arguments in Trump impeachment trial
- Read House managers’ arguments in Trump impeachment trial
- WATCH: House votes to impeach Trump after hours of debate
- Trump’s conversation with the Ukrainian president, annotated
- ‘Here’s the Deal’ with impeachment. Subscribe to our newsletter