storm over everestA David Breashears Film

Doug Pierson

Doug PiersonAge: 37

Home: Seattle, Wash.

Education:
M.B.A. The College of William & Mary
B.A. Ohio Wesleyan University

Career and Hobbies: Previously with IBM Global Business Services
Left in December to train full-time for Everest summit attempt.

U.S. Marine Corps Reserve- Lieutenant Colonel
Two tours in Iraq in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom.

Deep-water scuba certified Divemaster

Oil painter and photographer

Sigma Chi Fraternity

"Renaissance Man" according to family and friends

Climbing Experience Highlights:
Seattle Mountain Rescue
Mount Whitney (three times)
Mount McKinley/Denali
San Gorgonio
San Jacinto
Mount Rainier (three times per year)
Mount Fuji (two winter ascents)
Mount Olympus (30-hour speed climb)
Mount Baker
Mount Adams (five times)
Mount Saint Helens
Mount Hood (four times)

Mountain Madness LogoDoug is climbing this year with Mountain Madness. Our thanks for their help making this blog possible.


In the lead-up to the May broadcast of Storm Over Everest, FRONTLINE takes you to Nepal to follow climber Doug Pierson on his first attempt to summit Everest. Pierson's journey will take him on the same route climbed by the teams caught in the 1996 storm.

The Trip is Still On
By Doug Pierson on March 29, 2008 7:17 PM | Comments (0)
So the trip is still a go. I made it clear to Willie, our trip leader, that I’m all in favor of going for it. As long as we are safe, it’s fine by me. He feels the same way.

The other piece of good news is that we — may — look to climbing on Nuptse in order to acclimatize if the Nepalese don’t start coming around. Willie told me that the International Climbing Community (or whatever. I’ll just affectionately call them the ICC for this blog and create a new acronym because if there’s one thing the world needs, it’s another acronym) is in heated discussions with the Nepalese government, going as far as to threaten a trip to World Court. Hey, I’m all about that class action suit. It’s not like they didn’t wait until the 11th hour to send out their decree — and what a doozy it is, by the way. No one beyond Base Camp until after 10 May? That’s just flat out ridiculous. So there’s some optimism that the Nepalese sanctions might be relaxed in order to make this an easier pill to swallow. But hey, how flat-out awesome would it be if we were able to hit Nuptse in addition to Everest? Schwing schwing! I’m actually pretty jazzed about that option.

Lastly, Willie mentioned that if for some reason this doesn’t go the way we expect, long shots don’t pan out and the trip is canceled, we’ll be worked into a later date climb where it wouldn’t be all lost. So now I can breathe again about that, because thinking about waving bye-bye to all that moola was a pretty scary thing.

So he did mention that I’ll have to do a good job in hiding my laptop though, because he thinks that there’s some restriction on sending dispatches back. So I’ll have to be creative about it to say the least — just prepare for some blackouts if for some reason there is a decree and we have to abide by it.

 

 

Leave a comment