NOVA Online
Site Map

A Hasty Retreat to Base Camp
May 8, 1997
By Liesl Clark

Due to forecasts of high winds on Everest's summit that are not expected to dissipate until the 12th of May, David Breashears, Pete Athans, Jangbu Sherpa, and David Carter all returned to Base Camp yesterday afternoon. New Zealander Guy Cotter and his other team members Veikka Gustafsson and Tashi Tenzing also returned to Base Camp for a two to three day rest, awaiting better weather.

Ed Viesturs remained at Camp II with Spin, Pete Athans' crash test dummy/companion for his summit day. Ed carried a load up to Camp III "for some exercise" as David and Pete made it down to Base Camp in what seemed like a record 2 and a half hours. "Pete and I were surprised on the descent at the big changes in the Icefall route," explains David Breashears. "One thousand feet of fixed ropes and ladders had been re-routed due to massive collapses in the Icefall."

"We've renamed ourselves the 'Everest Yo-Yo Expedition,' continues David, "but it's all part of the game. Waiting for the right weather is crucial to our safety and ability to conduct the neuro-behavioral tests. We descended to Base Camp because it's more restful and healthful than Advance Base Camp (Camp II) and allows us to conserve precious resources up there, such as food and fuel."

June 10, 1997: Back Home (27)
May 25, 1997: Climbers Return to Base Camp (26)
May 24, 1997: Descending Toward Base Camp (25)
May 23 PM, 1997: NOVA Climbers Safely Off the Summit (24)
May 23 AM, 1997: NOVA Climbers Reach the Summit! (23)
    Hear the archived live audio broadcast from the summit
    Read the transcript of the broadcast from the summit
May 22, 1997: Bid for the Summit (22)
May 21, 1997: Helicopter Crashes at Everest Base Camp (21)
May 20, 1997: Moving On Up (20)
May 19, 1997: Poised at Camp II (19)
May 18, 1997: Departing for Camp II (18)
May 17, 1997: Dead Sherpa Found on Khumbu Glacier (17)
May 16, 1997: Jet Stream Winds Blast Camp II (16)
May 13, 1997: Receiving News from the North Side (15)
    May 13, 1997: RealAudio Interview with David Breashears
May 11, 1997: Five Climbers Presumed Dead on the North Side (14)
May 10, 1997: The Waiting Game (13)
May 9, 1997: Pulmonary Edema Evacuation from Base Camp (12)
May 8, 1997: A Hasty Retreat to Base Camp (11)
May 7, 1997: Sherpa Falls To His Death On The Lhotse Face (10)
May 6, 1997: Spin: A Passenger to the Summit (9)
May 5, 1997: Delayed at Advance Base Camp (8)
May 4, 1997: NOVA Climbers Leave Base Camp for Their Summit Attempt (7)
May 1, 1997: NOVA Team Prepares for Summit Attempt (6)
April 26, 1997: Indonesian Expedition First to Summit in 1997 (5)
April 23, 1997: Expedition Leader Dies at Everest Base Camp (4)
April 22, 1997: Japanese Expedition Pulls Out (3)
April 16, 1997: Traffic Reports on Everest (2)
April 14, 1997: Rescue Season Begins (1)

Lost on Everest | High Exposure | Climb | History & Culture | Earth, Wind, & Ice
E-mail | Previous Expeditions | Resources | Site Map | Everest Home

Editor's Picks | Previous Sites | Join Us/E-mail | TV/Web Schedule
About NOVA | Teachers | Site Map | Shop | Jobs | Search | To print
PBS Online | NOVA Online | WGBH

© | Updated November 2000