FRONTLINE investigates the spread of dangerous pathogens in our poultry.
Will your IRA or 401K accounts ensure a safe retirement?
FRONTLINE investigates the accusations of criminality and corruption that have surrounded Vladimir Putin's reign in Russia.
Ken Dornstein sets out to find those responsible for blowing up Pam Am Flight 103 over Lockerbie -- a terrorist act that killed 270 people, including his brother David. A three-part series.
Get Our Newsletter
1. increased slightly in some areas
2. decreased dramatically
3. stayed the same
4. no longer detectable
2. How long does it take an average breast-feeding baby in the US to receive the maximum recommended life-time dose of dioxin?
1. 2 years
2. Rarely happens
3. 6 months
4. A lifetime
3. Each day, a breast-feeding baby will receive what proportion of the allowable daily intake of PCBs (set for a 150 lb adult)?
1. Half the allowable adult intake
2. Five times the allowable adult intake
3. The full allowable adult intake
4. Hardly any PCBs.
4. Which ethnic population is at greatest risk of exposure to PCBs and persistent toxic chemicals?
1. African Americans living next to toxic waste dumps.
2. Residents of Mexico City
3. Taiwanese in Taipei
4. Inuits in northern Canada
5. What food generally contains the highest levels of PCBs and other persistent toxic chemicals?
1. Great Lakes fish
3. Garden salad
6. In Florida, which species of animal suffers from greatly diminished sperm counts and undescended testicals?
7. Seveso, Italy, was the site of a huge industrial fire in 1976 that spewed large amounts of dioxin into the environment. For babies born within eight years of the explosion, what was the ratio of boys to girls?
1. Nearly twice as many girls as boys
2. Nearly twice as many boys as girls
3. An equal number of boys and girls
4. No children were born
8. Which of the following substances contains an estrogen-mimicking chemical that can fool your body into thinking it is the natural hormone?
1. Polycarbonate plastics
3. Red Wine
4. All of the above
9. Which of these animals contain such high levels of PCBs that they qualify as hazardous waste when they die?
1. Beluga whales in the St. Lawrence River
2. Alligators in Florida
3. Deformed frogs in Minnesota
4. Mink in the Great Lakes
10. Which of the following is NOT a source of dioxin?
1. Paper Mills
2. Volcanic Eruptions
3. Hair spray
4. Waste Incinerators
special reports .
picture gallery .
cautionary advice for journalists .
how do hormones work? .
tapes & transcripts .
frontline online .
web site copyright 1995-2014
WGBH educational foundation